By XMR Fire Webmaster on Friday, 01 July 2011
Category: Latest News

Carbon Monoxide Detectors: New State Law

A new state law went into effect on July 1, 2011, requiring all California homeowners with an attached garage or fossil fuel source to install a carbon monoxide detector.  Follow this link and read the article for information from the State Fire Marshals Office.

According to CalFire, 90% of all California homes are without carbon monoxide detectors, a device that saves lives. Fuel fired appliances, such as cooking stoves, heaters, and gas dryers can produce this odorless gas without the homeowner knowing it. When these appliances aren’t working properly, they can give off deadly amounts of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and tasteless, so it’s easy to ignore the warning signs.  

Up to 40 California residents die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The law requires that alarm devices, which can cost less than $30, be installed in existing single‐family homes that have a fossil‐fuel burning appliance, fireplace or attached garage. Owners of multi‐family rental properties like apartment buildings will have until January 1st, 2013 to comply.

Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are available at most hardware or drug stores. It is recommended that they be installed outside each bedroom on every level of the home, including the basement. And, like smoke detectors, they’re easy to install.

 Download the full text of the legislation...